Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so im lookin to buy some wheels, and i was wondering what our wheel size is. Only thing is i dont know much of anything about wheels. I know that our stock wheels are 5x114

if im lookin at 5x114.3's would that work?

then whats with the +--mm after the wheel size? I see some rotas that have +48mm after it, like 5x114.3+48mm, would that work on an 03? or would i need spacers because if i get these i want to have track days with them on, so i dont want to run spacers at all. Let me know everything you know about wheels i need to learn!!! thanks a ton guys!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Ok, ok, let's back up. 5X114.3 just refers to the wheel stud spacing. Yes, you have to make sure any rim you get has that same spacing, but you don't say, "Hey, I'm looking for 5X114.3s." You need to think in terms of diameter and width of the wheel. Our stock rims on all USDM Evos are 17"X8" - that's 17" diameter with 8" width, and our stock offset is +35 or +38, I forget which. This doesn't mean you have to get 17X8s, but that's your starting point.

Also, why do you think you can't run spacers on the track? I'm using 18X9.5s with 285-width tires and 17mm spacers SPECIFICALLY for hard core road racing. So, basically, you just need to answer these questions:

1) What do you want to do with these rims? Daily driving only, racing only, daily driving with occasional track use, etc.
2) Do you want stock size rims or bigger? How much bigger?
3) Do you want stock size tires or bigger? How much bigger?
4) How much do you want to spend? Rotas are very cheap, because they're like knockoffs of other expensive versions. Doesn't bother me...my first spare set of rims were Rota torques that look almost exactly like my stock MR rims, and they were the same color. I still use them to this day for winter driving with snow tires, and they are great for only $600.
5) Once you figure all that out, then you just have to look around for wheels that fit the Evo. Places like Tire Rack already know what fits the Evo, so they tell you on the website. Also, you can call and they will look it all up for you before you make your purchase.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to minimize your fender rolling and fitment issues I can tell you your best option is a +35 offset. The other popular size for evos tend to be +28 these dont let you run as wide of tires. As far as width goes you can fit something between 8" and 9.5" fairly easily. But anything larger than 8.5" will require fender rolling.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks clay, yes, im lookin at rota slipstreams that are 17x8.5, i got that whole deal figured out i was just seeing if they would actually fit cause it doesnt say they were for evos, there universal i think. i was told that spacers can #### up hubs if you run too hard with them on. maybe that was wrong

what does the +--mm mean in a wheel size thats what is kinda confusin me

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
That's the offset, and it's very important for determining if that size will fit in the wheelwell without rubbing and if the wheel clears the brakes. YOu have to make absolutely certain that those will have the proper offset. They are not universal...that just isn't possible, because cars are all so different. Even one Evo to the next won't be the same if there are suspension mods or if the tire size is different.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So would a 17x9 +22 front and 17.9.5 +25 rear require rolling either the front/rear or both fenders?

Would these work at all?

I'm wanting to use them for summer driving and occasional drag strip.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Depends on the tires, suspension, alignment, wheel design, etc...

Not sure why you'd do different width and different offsets, though. You should get the same exact wheel size front and rear unless you're trying to optimize for huge tires in a competitive racing environment. Also, with different offsets and sizes, you won't be able to rotate your tires front-to-rear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, with different offsets and sizes, you won't be able to rotate your tires front-to-rear.
That's a great point, I didn't think of that.

My car is stock.

I just found a set of wheels I like on ebay, some very nice hard to get wheels, but they are
different sizes for front and back.

I'll just pass and keep looking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Evos for the most part run a 5x114.3 bolt pattern with a +30mm offset. The widest i know of that you can fit on an evo with stock fenders or without rolling is a 9 inch wheel with 2554017s. I know someone who had 2554018s, But i wouldnt suggest it. As long as you have the right bolt pattern and offset, you will be fine...try to avoid using spacers at all costs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Enkei NTO3+M

So with spacers do you think I could get away with 17x7.5 + 40 or a 18x7.5 +42

·
Registered
4 Posts
that depends on how wide of a tire you want to run. with 7.5 width rims you won't be able to use a wide tire at all. almost all evo's i have seen use at least an 8 in rim.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Whoa, madman, what's the deal? Why would you get rims that are LESS wide than stock? That makes no sense, and why are you trying to get such crazy offsets? Instead of me trying to figure out your deal, just tell us your entire plans. 7.5 is smaller than stock, which is 8, so that would be a pretty bad decision. Also, I don't know the spacer requirements for rims that size.

What is it you're trying to accomplish? Spacers aren't the devil, but you certainly don't want to use them if you don't have to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well this is just retarted then..... :mad:

The finish I want on that wheel only comes in those sizes. I'm just very picky about my
wheels and I'm having a hard time finding something I like.

Long story short my stock wheels are now my winter set with my winter tires.

I want new wheels for the summer that fit the stock Advan tires.

I found some Advan RG II's on ebay but they were the mix matched sizes....9 and 9.5.

The Advan wheels are what I really want but cant find anyone that has them in stock or at least can get them before summer is over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would try going on evolutionm.net and either looking in the evo for-sale section or the private for-sale/wanted section. there are many new and used wheels for sale and many places to call to aid in your decision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Madman, i know where you can get some 18x8.5 bronze RG II advans with 255 40 18
Falken Azenis RT 615s for 2600 i think. If your interested. A buddy of mine is selling them of his MR

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard to find Advan RG-IIs in whatever size they make. Just look around and find shops that sell them.

I also would not recommend going through the expense of getting such nice rims only to get ones that fit the stock tires. At least get something out of it beyond looks, right? I use my rota torques as winter rims and put 255-width summer tires on my stock BBSs, then I use the big daddy NT03+Ms for racing with 285s. If you get an expensive set of rims that is no bigger than stock (in terms of width), then you're basically doing nothing except spending a lot of money for looks. If you also get a set that is larger than stock, then you can fit larger tires and actually gain performance from the transaction, which is the real point of upgrading rims anyway. JMO...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts