Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and own a 05' Evo VIII gsr w/leather seats, sun roof, etc. I'm curious if its worth trading in for the 06's since i've been reading alot about how much power dirfference you could make w/the same setup but the 06's run a little quicker. I remember someone telling me that the MIVEC motor would be harder to tune, any truth to this? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
jspec said:
I'm new to this site and own a 05' Evo VIII gsr w/leather seats, sun roof, etc. I'm curious if its worth trading in for the 06's since i've been reading alot about how much power dirfference you could make w/the same setup but the 06's run a little quicker. I remember someone telling me that the MIVEC motor would be harder to tune, any truth to this? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
I can't tell you whether it's worth it for YOU to trade in your 05 w/ssl for a IX, since I don't know your financial details, but in a vaccuum when only referring to the relative differences, I say 100% yes. The IX is so much faster and has so much more power under the curve that it's not even funny, and that's just stock. When you add mods, there is no less than a 30whp difference with similar mods. Sometimes, it can get as high as a 40-50whp difference with just TBE, MBC, and flash. The IXs are just nasty fast.

The MIVEC isn't the motor...it's just in the head. Someone may have said it MAY be harder to tune MIVEC before the IX came out, but I doubt anyone says that now. The MIVEC tuning is what is allowing IXs to be so make so much more power under the curve than VIIIs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finances are not a problem i just want the best possible evo i can own and fix up. My main goal is to run the stock turbo and reach 11 highs, pretty much daily driven as well. The one thing i want to know as well is do all/most of the products for the VIII's work w/the IX's say like exhaust, intake, intercoolers, and radiators. So the IX's are pretty much blow the VIII's out the window, well have you heard any news of turbo kits being developed at this time? One kit i was looking at before was the AMS GT35, not sure if it will bolt on the IX, but thats in the far future. Well thanks for the advise, i believe there's only 2 MR's left, i'm going to try and go in tomorrow to see what kind of deal i can get. Your advise is apprecciated

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, things like turbo kits are a no-brainer. They will fit the same, because the car is the same. Once you upgrade the turbo, though, you lose the majority of the advantage in the IX, which is the improved stock turbo (larger compressor housing). You still get the MIVEC head that also has coolant passages that allow for more timing without knock, so it's still better than an VIII.

Most of the VIII mods are interchangeable in the IX, but a few aren't. Not all the exhausts fit the same, but most do. The compressor side of the stock turbo is different, so not all LICPs fit. The main difference, though, is you can't use VIII cams on a IX due to the MIVEC on the intake side at least. VIII exhaust cams can be used on the IX, but not the intake cam. Currently, there is only ONE set of cams available for the IX, and that's through TurboTrix, but they are charging $900.

If your only goal right now is high 11s on a daily driver, then that can be done easily on the 05, so you don't need to upgrade. There are bunches of VIIIs out there running 11s or that have power for 11s and are normal daily drivers. That's pretty normal. On the IX, though, there's already a Buschur/Dynoflash IX that has hit 11.63 (best so far) with his basic mods...mods that I could only get to 12.000 on my 05. It's basically the standard Buschur stage 1&2 with a custom Dynoflash and then some race gas and excellent driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ha, warrtalon beat me to it.

warrtalon-did you make the Evo? i swear you know EVERYTHING about them. you could probably build one and mold a more aerodynamic body kit out of carbon fiber blindfolded. ROFL :thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
warrtalon, if i dont have tons of money would i wanna trade in my 03 for either a 05 MR, or 06 RS... which is better in your book. I do daily drive it as of now, but i also love track days wether it be road racing, autox, or drag strips...

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Trading the 03 for an 06 RS would definitely get you more for your money. You could probably pay less or equal for the brand new RS, which will be much faster while also being 70lbs lighter. This is if you can handle the extra noise and harsher ride without power windows and all that jazz.

I love my MR, but it was definitely not cheap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah boy go with the RS. Then your friends can pull up next to u all exited that there is a song on a radio staion that u have to hear. Then u realise that u have no radio, they just suck but ur EVO doesnt.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts